Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Have l truly recognized my complete dependence on God?
- Have I been proud, arrogant and self-righteous?
- Have I been selfish, greedy, possessive and self-seeking?
- Have I sought after status, recognition, power, material possessions and wealth?
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Have l endured difficulties and afflictions with faith and patience?
- Do I have compassion for the poor, the hungry, and addicted; the sick the lonely and the sinful of the world?
- Have I truly been sorrowful for my sins and faults?
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
- Am I gentle with others, or am I harsh in my behavior?
- Do I seek to dominate others at home, school, work, office, church and elsewhere?
- Have l lost my temper?
- Have I nursed hatred in my heart or the desire for revenge?
- Have I been impatient, resentful, bitter, unforgiving or insulting and abusive to others?
- Have l loved my enemies?
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- Do I thirst for holiness?
- Do I truly yearn for God’s Will to be done, in my life and in all things?
- Have I tried to cultivate a righteous and holy life through prayer, fasting, almsgiving, worship, the reading of Holy Scripture, frequent Confession and Communion?
- Have I been lukewarm in my faith?
- Have I been lazy, negligent or apathetical?
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
- Have I been merciful to others?
- Have l turned away from someone who needed my help?
- Have I turned my back on someone poor, hungry, rejected, lonely and needy?
- Have I tried to understand and to forgive others?
- Have I been indifferent or judgmental?
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
- Do I love purity and honesty?
- Have I been dishonest in my speech or actions?
- Have the motives or intentions of my actions been evil or selfish?
- Have I given way to lust, impure thoughts, words or deeds?
- Have I been guilty of prejudice?
- Have I been hypocritical, pretentious or self-indulgent to sinful passions?
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall he called children of God.
- Am I at peace with God?
- Do I have His peace in my heart?
- Have l been angry, aggressive or impatient?
- Do I foster peace at home, work, church and community?
- Have I been irritable or polemical?
- Have I caused division and discord?
- Is my criticism harmful and disruptive, or does it build up others in charity?
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Have I complained when persecuted for God’s sake?
- Have I prayed for my enemies?
- Have I failed to defend people who are fight for fear of humiliation or persecution?
- Have I had the courage to stand up for the truth despite criticism, ridicule or persecution?
- Am I afraid to witness my faith in Christ Jesus?
Blessed are you when they revile you and persecute you on my account; rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven.
- Is the joy of Christ in my heart, even in trying moments?
- Do I give thanks to God in all circumstances, or do I complain often?
- Have I been pessimistic, negative, despondent or despairing?
- Have I truly delighted in the promise of God’s treasures in heaven?
Adapted from Examination of Conscience found in the Divine Liturgy Anthology produced by the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies. Additions made by Fr. Michael Winn of royaldoors.net.
Would you like to support the work of Clumsy Theosis and receive exclusive perks in the process? Become a patron!
Listen to this three part series to learn how to imitate Christ by living out the beatitudes.
GET MY WEEKLY EMAIL
Receive the latest episode + extra tidbits.
Don’t worry, I hate spam too and will keep your information safe.